Friday, May 2, 2014

Time to be selfish!

1 Sam 30:6
 And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God.
 
 David as the leader of the people was catching all the blame for what had just transpired. The enemy came in and burned the city and had captured their wives, sons and their daughters! But here is what the people didn't allow themselves to see, Even David's wives were taken! David was suffering loss right along side them and instead of sticking together, working out a plan to save them they turned to David and put all the blame on him! Welcome to leadership 101. When the people don't get the results they want, you get the blame!

  David had no one that he felt he could turn to. David the bible says was GREATLY DISTRESSED! You might say he felt like throwing in the towel. You might say he felt like giving up! David may have even been contemplating running for his life! But David encouraged HIMSELF in the Lord!
  If God before me who can be against me!  God is my strength, my shield, my deliverer! I am chosen of God, called and sanctified for the Masters use! David had to say to himself all that he knew of His God to get himself back into a place where he could lead and where he could begin again to encourage others!
  David was not in a place to speak to the people with faith, considering it was the people who caused him to be distressed. Looking at them and saying All things work together for the good, to them that love God and are the called according to His purpose probably would have worked against Him. And since no one was stepping up to encourage David, no one was standing beside him or holding up his hands David had to be selfish and care for himself!
 David didn't give up. David didn't abandon them. David didn't go on a vacation, David went to the prayer room and lifted himself up. Not by putting others down, or condemning their actions or seeking out others who would be in agreement with him, he encourage himself in the Lord.
 If you're going to be selfish, be this kind of selfish. Take time for yourself in prayer to build yourself up by Gods word. Take time for yourself and read the scriptures. Take time for yourself, by yourself away from others who are not encouraging you, and who may be causing you to be distressed!
 The biggest reason that I hear from people why they don't take time away from others is because they are trying to help them! And the answer I can usually give is You cant save a drowning victim if you are drowning yourself!
 Maybe its selfish to get saved! Maybe its selfish to seek healing for your own soul! Maybe its selfish to find the shore to plant your own feet on. But if your going to be this selfish do it for the right reason and that is for the cause of Christ. To offer hope and help to others! To become strong in the Lord and be able to do His will!
  Its time to build yourself up, speak faith into your life and encourage yourself by what God has to say about you!
  Jer 29:11-14
 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
14 And I will be found of you, saith the Lord: and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places whither I have driven you, saith the Lord; and I will bring you again into the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Powerful! I was just ministering to a special person this morning using some of the same words and examples, as you have in your blog! I have also had some of the same thought for a certain circumstance, I have been dealing with and praying about! GOD IS SO AWESOME AND POWERFUL, to be able to use his children of GOD at the same day and time, with the same words and examples, but for different circumstances! Thanks for your blog Pastor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Word Bro...It is kind of hard to give someone something you don't have.

    ReplyDelete